Paradise Helicopters - Big Island Expedition
Departing from the Kona airport, this is truly a unique helicopter tour because it includes a landing on the other side of the island in Hilo. You’ll get to see great aerial views of the island’s most beautiful locations. Fly over the Kona coffee belt and the slops of the Hualalai and Mauna Loa volcanoes on your way to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, where you might catch a glimpse of red lava flows at Kilauea, the world’s most active volcano.
The tour then continues along the Big Island’s rugged coastline and lava fields that give way to lush rainforests and waterfalls. You’ll touch down in the Hilo area, from where you’ll be taken to the downtown area for a self-guided tour. Visit the farmers market, Pacific Tsunami Museum, Lyman Museum, quirky shops and other points of interest in Hilo.
At the end of your excursion your helicopter waits to take you over the beautiful Kohala valleys and iconic beaches, including Hapuna Beach and Kua Bay.
- 10-hour helicopter adventure, including landing and land exploration
- Fly over any current volcanic activity at Kilauea volcano
- See white and black sand beaches and numerous waterfalls
- American-made helicopter with executive seating
- Fully-narrated helicopter tour
- Two-way communication allowing you to speak directly with your pilot
- Upgrade - Co-Pilot Seat: This seat upgrade is for the seat next to the pilot that has the advantage of 3 windows for viewing the tour and is separate from the other passengers. Seat is subject to weight and balance restrictions.
- Upgrade - Window Seat: This upgrade guarantees a window seat. Seat is subject to weight and balance restrictions. Seat may be forward facing or backwards facing. If a guest doesn't believe they can sit backwards facing please note next to name of guest. Every effort will be made not to place guest backwards facing, but may not be guaranteed due to weight capacity and balancing of craft. Please note, the capacity surcharge already includes a window seat guarantee.
- Capacity Surcharge: A Capacity Surcharge is required for
passengers weighing between 266 lbs and 300 lbs (120-1136 kg) at
check-in. A window seat is guaranteed with the Capacity Surcharge.
If you did not select the Capacity Surcharge and weigh between
these amounts at check-in you will still be charged directly by
Paradise Helicopters before the flight.
- Extra Seat Charge: For passengers weighing over 300 lbs (136
kg) an Extra Seat Charge is required. If you did not select the
Extra Seat Charge and weigh over 300 lbs (136 kg) at check-in you
will still be charged directly by Paradise Helicopters before the
- Where and When:
- Morning departure.
The exact departure time will be specified on your voucher. Departs from Kona International Airport View Map
During your time in Hilo, you are able to do what you'd like on that side of the island on your own. You may set up a rental car through Paradise Helicopters, or through us as we also do rental cars in Hilo.
All guest must be one of the following:
A resident who has been on island for 14 days or had a negative covid test in the past 72 hours.
A visitor who has either quarantined for 14 days (showing an airline ticket with an arrival date 14 days prior to flight) or show their participation in the pre-testing travel program (an accepted negative test result).
If you are experiencing any symptoms such as cough, fever, abnormal fatigue, or not feeling well please refrain from entering our facilities. Notify Paradise Helicopters immediately. If you are exhibiting symptoms upon check-in, you will be asked to postpone your flight.
Staff may ask to check your temperature.
Guests age 5 and older are required to wear a face mask during their time in and around Paradise Helicopter facilities.
Guests flying on a doors-off helicopter must wear a mask that fits tightly behind the ears to ensure it will not leave the aircraft during flight.
- Each child (13 and under) must be accompanied by an adult.
Passengers weighing between 266-300 lbs (120-136 kg) will be assessed a Capacity Surcharge for Kona flights. Passengers paying the Capacity Surcharge will be guaranteed a window seat. Passengers weighing over 300 lbs (136 kg) will be assessed an Extra Seat Charge. Passengers paying the Extra Seat Charge will be guaranteed a window seat and an empty seat next to them.
Children under the age of two (2) AND under 30 lbs (13.5 kg) fly free when seated in the lap of a paying adult. Children who are 24 months and older or children who are under 24 months but weigh over 30 lbs (13.5 kg) require an individual full-fare seat.
Passengers need to bring a government issued photo ID. International passengers will need their passport.
During COVID Measures:
Any guest or staff who are not feeling well are required to stay home. If you are exhibiting symptoms upon check-in, you will be asked to postpone your flight. Staff may ask to check your temperature to ensure you are not exhibiting symptoms.
Guest age 5 years or older are required to wear a protective face mask (covering the nose and mouth) before, during and after the flight. Please let us know if you have a medical condition that prevents you from wearing a mask.
- Special Notes:
- Operation Days:
- Approx. 2 hours total flight time and 8 hours on the ground in Hilo
- 6 passengers
- BELL 407 Helicopter, featuring a spacious, wide body cabin and oversized windows for an outstanding view.